Beautiful Creatures is the latest YA to be made into a movie. It is the first book in the Caster Chronicles series written by co-authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Is it the new Twilight? Let's see:
- starcrossed lovers? High school student Ethan is a mortal and Lena is a caster (witch). Edward,as you know, is a vampire and Bella is a mortal.
- small town setting? Beautiful Creature's Gatlin, SC is a southern, gothic town with a historical connection to the civil war and voodoo. Forks, WA is a rainy Northwest Pacific coastal town with deep ties to the local First Nations band and a history of vampire/werewolf wars.
- otherwordly large family? Lena's extended family includes a various assortment of both light and dark casters as well as a vampire. Edward's family is all vampire (and there's also Jacob's wolf pack...).
- mortal becomes an outcast in a highschool populated by other mortals who just don't understand? Check for both.
So as you can see, there are many similarities between the two novels. Honestly, although I haven't read the entire Caster Chronicle series, I felt like Twilight was a better read - after finishing the first book I raced to the bookstore to buy the others. I don't have the same feeling with Beautiful Creatures.
You Will Like This Book If:
- you are not yet tired of the mortal/paranormal romance
- you like to read books set in the deep south
- you like to read the novel before the movie comes out (I heard there was quite a bit changed in the movie version)
“Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures.”