My Summer Reading List

Every summer I make a list of "must read" classics. It's really the only time of year I ever go back to them (I was an English minor in university). I think it's good to reread a classic because you get something different out of it each time. Sometimes there's a difference of twenty years and I see something new that I might have missed before. Or, and this often happens, a book I thought was really great the first time I read it, I'm now like, what??? (This happened when I reread Anne of Green Gables to my daughter).I used to really love the Anne books:(


So how do I choose the books on my summer reading list? It just kind of comes to me. For example, last year I reread Emma by Jane Austen - always a great read, Plato's Five Dialogues - makes me feel smart and I tried to read Proust In Remembrance of Things Past, but didn't really get very far. I reread The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorn and didn't see what the big issue was all about.So she committed adultery, move on people! And I read Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence which still reads very erotic even today. (A good choice for you fans of Fifty Shades of Gray.)


This year I plan on trying Proust again (wish me luck!) Homer's The Odyssey and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald (because they're making it into a movie). I also want to read a Hemingway, not sure what though. I'm looking for something set in the Florida Keys or maybe his short story collection.


I also always grab a few summery looking paperbacks that feature pictures of the beach or cottages. It's always good to fantasize. Last year I read Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand who seems to write a lot of books about summer on the east coast, and The Summer House by Jude Deveraux. Both were books about women and midlife issues, but they were interesting. This summer so far, I'm looking at The Cottage at Glass Beach by Heather Barbieri.












Comment below if you want to give feedback on any of my choices and also if you have summer read recommendations of your own!

Comments

Popular Posts